E-Mail Of The Day

As a followup to my earlier columns on the banning of tag and dodgeball, and Paula Spencer's piece on protecting kids from everything but fear, Kelly Hyde e-mails:
I work downtown and the other day I was taking a walk at the Arch on my lunch break. It was a nice day so it was very busy and I could tell there were several field trips there as well. I happened to notice that a group of kids were playing a game in the grass. When I got closer I could hear them yelling, "Red Rover, Red Rover!" I couldn't believe it. These kids were on a school field trip and their teachers were letting them play RedRover. I thought it was great. I had heard that Red Rover was outlawed almost everywhere because kids can break their arms when other kids try to break through to the other side. It was refreshing to see that.