Unsubscribe

By clicking "unsubscribe" on an e-mail yesterday, I asked to be removed from the mailing list of a service that I used to use but am no longer interested in. That click took me to a web page where I had to confirm my un-subscription, which I did, which then led to another page telling me "Your request will be processed within 10 business days. You will receive a confirmation via e-mail."

Why, in our instant-communication modern age, should any online request take 10 days to be fulfilled? I'm sure the mass e-mails I used to receive were sent via a computerized list, so why isn't the removal aspect handled similarly? When I order an item on Amazon, I don't have to wait a week to find out if it went through! I understand that these systems are set up for "go" more than "stop," but even when I'm trying to become an ex-customer, that's bad service.

Finally, once I've told you I don't want any more e-mails from you, why would you send me an unsubscribe confirmation by e-mail? Cut out the redundancy and leave me alone!