The Roy Moore Story

I had a lot to say about the Roy Moore story yesterday, too much to type up for a single post on this website. Instead, I talked about it at length at the top of my KTRS radio show, and I want to share it with you.

I pointed out the hypocrisy of his supporters, including Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler, who said Moore had done nothing wrong by assaulting a 14-year-old girl when he was 32: "Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus." Considering that Moore and his friends are hyper-religious, you'd think that Ziegler would know the story a little better than that -- especially the part about the Virgin Mary, who was impregnated not by Joseph, but by God. For chrissake, I'm an atheist and, while I don't believe any of it, I know that!

I played the comments on MSNBC by USA Today reporter Heidi Przybyla, former Bush communications director Nicole Wallace, and GOP consultant Susan Del Percio about why Moore's accusers didn't come forward earlier -- and how their bravery, like other women telling their own stories, will give even more victims the courage to speak out.

I pointed out that this story -- like the revelations about Louis CK, Kevin Spacey, and so many other men who have done sexually inappropriate things to women -- is the result of journalism. These revelations are seeing the light of day because of hard-working reporters who deserve our praise, not the scorn they receive regularly from the Ego In Chief and others like him who throw around the phrase "fake news" whenever there's an item about them they don't like.

Most of all, I explained that the Roy Moore story has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with decency. You can't condemn Anthony Weiner for sexting with a 15-year-old girl without also denouncing Moore for stripping and fondling a 14-year-old girl. They are both scumbags, and neither of them deserves to serve in Congress.

Listen to my entire monologue on this subject, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!

Labels: ,